It has been 13 and a half months since my momma went to Heaven. It is odd how the days just roll by and all of a sudden you realize....it's been 13 and a half months already! I have found myself obsessed with a project though. What's the project?? Raising money for the Canadian Cancer Society. I have been a bit over the top, I'm ok with that though. Most people who know me know I'm extremely type "A" and can get a bit obsessed!
The truth of the matter is that we all have a story in which Cancer is the villain. My story is no more important than yours in the grand scheme of things. It is just the most important to me in the same regard that yours is the most important to you! This is what makes us so driven! The one thing all of our different stories have in common (besides the villain) is those of us left behind telling the story are joined in HOPE! Together we can hope for a future where there is no Cancer....and this is why I'm now obsessed with my new project :)
As I embarked on this journey or project this year (team captain for a Relay for Life team), I did so with apprehension. First my anxiety came from the thought that it might be too hard for me. As each fundraiser came along or as I asked the people in my life to donate to my cause I would be faced with the sad fact that I lost my mom not all that long ago. After I got past this and told myself I would get through that with all of the amazing support I have in my life, I began to worry....what if I can't reach my goal! I still sit in that worry a bit. I have set out to raise $10,000 with my team. What drives me each day to obtain that goal is the faces of each daughter, son, husband, wife, mother, father, friend, and so on that I saw each time I stepped foot in the Cancer clinic or the PCU. I can't bear to disappoint those people. They are the people that count on these funds! During my mom's fight, we were lucky enough to have support from the CCS and I was SO very lucky to have met an unforgettable volunteer that I simply knew as Gran. She was everything that the CCS embodied and so much more! I recently found out that Gran's cancer came back and she lost her courageous battle to the "monster". She always amazed me at how she could be so positive all the while secretly fighting her own war. Everyone going through cancer treatment (patients, family and friends) needs to have a Gran!
You may have noticed " yellow poppies" (as my little preschool bunch calls it) AKA daffodil pins out in the community. That's because the Canadian Cancer Society is gearing up for Daffodil Month capped off by Daffodil Day on April 27th. The funds raised by this movement are so valuable to help people like Gran help me, or you, or your neighbour, friend, co-worker! Who will you wear your daffodil for? I will be wearing mine in memory of my mom, my step mom, an amazing woman named Gran and all the other amazing people out there courageously fighting. So what if people think we're over the top! A little yellow pin can symbolize so much in a battle that we MUST keep fighting for one day we will win the war!
No comments:
Post a Comment