Friday, 30 December 2011

A new year....

The holidays bring out so many emotions in people. Sadness, anxiety, kindness, good will, anger, etc. We miss those we've lost and worry about those we may lose in the future.  Perhaps Abraham Lincoln said it best when he said, "The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time".  Maybe we should all take a lesson from good old Abe and stay present in the moment, or at least try to :) Easier said than done, I know!

First to come is Christmas. We can't WAIT for it to arrive! We all eat way too much turkey and spend way too much money BUT we enjoy a magical time with our loved ones, whomever they may be. This, I've come to learn, is invaluable time you will never get again and each year brings a unique memory.  I hope everyone enjoyed every last second of it, and if you didn't, go out and enjoy it now!  Bring your friends and family together or tell them how much they mean to you.  The magical part about Christmas does not lie within a day on the calendar but within ourselves.

Then after the sales of boxing week conclude, we all anxiously await the beginning of a new year.  (I dread it, being the end of the fiscal year for me, it tends to be a lot of work! LOL!) As we all bustle about tomorrow preparing to usher in 2012, take some time to reflect on 2011.  I'm sure there were a lot of positive and negative things in all of our lives this past year.  As you ring in a new year, a new beginning, don't forget about the old one.  Although it had a few icky spots, there are lessons to be learned and strengths to be gained.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't anxious to say good-bye to 2011 myself BUT 2011 brought me 2 VERY important things that can't ever be replaced.  I now have a very strong relationship with my dad, the type of relationship I've wished for for years AND a new respect for my momma, who is perhaps the strongest person I've ever known.  I've been able to gain insights to who both of my parents are and I will carry those with me for the rest of my life. 

Although 2011 brought us all struggles, trials, challenges, pain and uncertainty let's not forget the positive things it brought us as well.  I was lucky enough to witness friends commit their lives to one another, new babies be born and find out that some new arrivals are coming our way early in 2012, other couples found their way back to one another and I finally learned how to slow down and appreciate the small graces I'm afforded each day. I hope everyone has that opportunity at some point!

At the stroke of 12 tomorrow night (before we all turn in to pumpkins!) know that I am wishing everyone a safe and happy new year and many blessings for 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment